Sunday, January 1, 2017

We do not speak Mandarin

It may at this stage be prudent to add we do not speak Mandarin to a level where we would be be able to have achieved this trip alone.

I have tried to learn some of the basics and have achieved a level, on a scale of 1 to 10, of about 1, and that is after over two years of learning. I am not disheartened because I know I am going forward, but at 53 learning does not always come as easily as it did when I was 23.

For those who would try and follow a non formal path to learning Mandarin there are a number of resources out there, many of them free.

Online it is good to look at podcasts: MandarinPod.com, I love learning Chinese, Learn Mandarin Now, Learning Chinese through Stories, www.melnyks.com and ChineseClass101.com are some good examples.

I have used Pimsleur up to level 4, with the first 3 levels being brought second hand as a job lot and purchasing the fourth new. Level 4 will be talked about later on but I still have about 10 units to go.

Jin Bu 进步 book 1 has helped and I am now looking at book 2, it is handy as our daughter is now doing Mandarin at GCSE and these are the primary texts, so knowing them will help me help her learn and progress.

But the best help has come from www.gospeaky.com or Speaky, it has put me in touch with a Taiwanese gentleman who has helped me significantly in my learning journey and I have gained a good friend to boot. I owe him a debt of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment